Every year, individuals, families, and even companies choose the summer season as the prime time for relocation. With so many people looking to make a change during this time period—which lasts from Memorial Day weekend in May until Labor Day weekend in September, summer relocation can be a little more stressful and complicated than it is at other times of the year.
For those with flexibility in their schedules, it’s worth it to try and plan for a pre-season move if you can. Moving before the high season means lower rates and more availability from reputable moving companies—which are both very good reasons to want to start planning ahead.
To beat the summer rush this year, it’s a good idea to get started with your relocation process now. In this guide, our expert movers at Scobey Moving & Storage share our tips for planning a move in the time left before peak season begins, so that you can enjoy a smoother, more successful moving experience this year.
Our Top Five Tips for Your Move
If you’re getting ready for relocation, chances are you’re already starting to feel the stress that comes with moving to a new place. To help you with your goal of an easy move we have put together our top five moving tips to help you plan your move before peak moving season hits.
- Create a Moving Binder: Moving consists of a seemingly endless array of tasks, lists, deadlines, and other details to keep track of. Make sure that you don’t forget something important by creating a moving binder meant to keep all of your records, tasks, and documents in one spot. Ideally, this should also include a moving calendar, with important dates written inside to help you keep you on track for moving day.
- Take Inventory: Before you so much as pack one box, you should take the time to take stock of what you own and more importantly what you’re going to keep for the move. In addition to helping you identify throwaway items, committing to this step will allow you to keep the movers informed. It also makes filing an insurance claim a breeze in case something is lost or broken during the move.
- Know Your Moving Budget: You can’t have an easy or stress-free move without establishing your moving budget. This is the time to identify how much the move itself will cost, including additional factors like potential hotel stays or furniture replacement. One surefire way to end up less than happy with your move is to have to go without because you failed to budget properly. Keep track of your finances related to your move in your moving binder (mentioned in the first tip) for easy tracking.
- Interview Moving Companies: Don’t just settle for who’s first or who’s cheapest. Make sure to ask the moving companies the right questions. Find out what services they offer, what’s included and not included in their quote, company history, and licensing information. The right company is going to make the entire process smooth and easy for you to handle, so take the time to pick the one right for your moving needs.If you’re on a really tight schedule or don’t have much time for packing and other moving necessities, consider contracting a moving company for a full-service move. Moving companies that offer this option can help you with things like organizing, packing, and even unpacking and set-up—so that all you’ll have to worry about is acclimating to your new surroundings.
- Transfer Utilities Before You Move: The last thing you want to have to deal with when arriving at a new home is a lack of important utilities and connections. Before arriving, make sure the electricity, water, and gas are turned on. If possible, consider consolidating your services, so you have just one bill for your new place.
By following our top five tips to prepare for the moving season now, you can count on being ahead of the curve. An easy and stress-free move is within your grasp if you start planning now to beat the crowds during peak moving season.
If you’re ready to start interviewing moving companies for your relocation, consider working with the team at Scobey Moving & Storage. We offer comprehensive moving services for local, long-distance, and even international moves. Give us a call to speak with a representative now, or fill out our online form to get started with your free in-home consultation and moving quote.